Josiah's Potato Bar Recipe #1 (Chorizo Mashed Potatoes)

I know I’m not the only person who loves mashed potatoes. This year, for Thanksgiving, I wanted to do mashed potatoes a little differently, so I asked one of my foodie friends for some unconventional yet delicious toppings ideas for our favorite spud. After collaborating with one of her friends, she sent me a manifold of scrumptious suggestion; however, one ingredient sounded too good to pass up: chorizo! I theorized that our Harissa (A smoked chili pepper) oil would pair wonderfully with the chorizo’s flavors. The oil played perfectly with the chorizo, and the outcome was indescribable! I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I did!

Chorizo Mashed Potatoes:
3Lbs. of potatoes (I used red because you don’t need to peel)
2tbs of Harissa oil
1 medium onion sliced (I used red for its color, but brown or yellow would work as well)
1 pound of Chorizo
3 garlic cloves
1cup of milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup sour cream
4-6 tablespoons of Harissa oil*
Salt and pepper to taste
1tbs cilantro (plus extra for garnishing)
½ cup green onion (plus extra for garnishing)
Harissa oil for garnishing
(*I personally really enjoyed the flavor this oil offers, but if you want to partially substitute in any other EVOO in or even a little bit of butter, that would work as well.)

Instructions:
Scrub down and cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes and place them in a large pot. Cover the potatoes and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.

While waiting for the potatoes to boil, heat 2tbs of Harissa oil in a pan, add onions, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add chorizo, and keep on heat until fully cooked.
Heat the milk, cream, sour cream, and the harissa oil in either the microwave or on the stove top until hot.

Mash your potatoes. As soon as the potatoes are mashed, slowly whisk in enough of the hot milk/cream mixture to make the potatoes very creamy.
Add the chorizo mixture, cilantro, and green onions to the potatoes, saving about ¼ of the chorizo mixture for garnishing.
Taste for seasoning, garnish to your liking, and enjoy them while they’re still hot.

Comments